July 23, 2011

Monkey Talks!

For those of you who know....Monkey has a speech delay. It's a pretty big delay at that. He's about a year behind. It breaks my heart that my baby is so behind.
It started with a LOT of ear infections and two ruptures and failing a hearing test. After a lot of doctor appointments and waiting, Monkey had tubes put in his ears towards the end of May. We also began speech therapy and developmental "play" therapy. Two months has brought so much progress. I'm always so happy to hear a new word or see new progress. My little man is amazing. He tries so hard to master a new skill a new word, it's almost unbearable to watch him struggle but the light in his eyes and joy on his face when he does it is breathtaking.
  Monkey has learned another new word lately. It's every parents favorite word too. No. My son is saying no. A LOT. In one way I'm happy because it will help him communiate and let me know his needs but on the other hand, he's saying no to EVERYTHING. Our conversations go like this...

Me: " Are you ready for breakfast? Are you hungry?" (I also signed "eat" )

Monkey. "No."

Me: "Are you ready to play?"  (I signed for play)

Monkey: "No."

Me: "Come here let's cuddle and read"

Monkey: "No!" and then he ran into the kitchen.

I followed him into the kitchen and he signed and said eat. Really kiddo? I'm pretty sure this is normal toddler behavior. Toddlers are nuts and slightly evil.




I'm doing everything I can think of to help him. I talk to him constantly. We read for hours, we do puzzles together and work on flashcards.We use signs and even the tiny bit of Spanish I know. We play chase, blow bubbles and giggle... Is there more? Am I missing anything? I just feel a bit lost.







No comments: